Cape Elizabeth, Maine, September 30, 2013
- Culinary and artistic adventures are on the menu this fall at coastal Maine's Inn by the Sea
, overlooking the Atlantic on mile-long Crescent Beach in Cape Elizabeth, a few minutes south of Portland.
HARVEST ON THE HARBOR
Chef Mitchell Kaldrovich of the Inn's Sea Glass restaurant is a leader of greater Portland's dynamic food scene and he'll be one of the chefs featured at this year'sHarvest on the Harbor, from October 23 to 26, 2013. Maine's premier food & wine festival is celebrating its 6th year and Argentinean-raised Chef Kaldrovich will be at both the Grand Tasting and International Maine, which celebrates the diversity of chefs and cuisines in the state of Maine. Inn by the Sea's Fall Harvest Package, which includes a 5-course harvest tasting menu from Chef Kaldrovich, is the best way to immerse yourself in the autumn flavors of Maine.
For Maine country food adventures, fall is prime season for the Maine apple harvest and maps of local orchards near Inn by the Sea can be found at the Maine Pomological Society. For city lovers, Portland has been called the "Foodiest Small Town in America" by Bon Appetit magazine and Maine Foodie Tours offers culinary walking tours with plenty of opportunities to taste. Tours are offered daily through October and on weekends through December.
WINSLOW HOMER STUDIO & EXHIBIT
Few painters have captured the Maine coastline better than the legendary American artist Winslow Homer (1836-1910), who lived and painted just five miles away from Inn by the Sea for a quarter of a century. The Winslow Homer Studio on Prout's Neck, purchased and renovated by the Portland Museum of Art, was opened to visitors in late 2012. The Studio is open for private tours for guests of Inn by the Sea through December.
The Portland Museum of Art is currently presenting Winslow Homer's Civil War, an exhibition of Winslow Homer's wood-engravings drawn from its permanent collection. Homer first gained national recognition for images of the Civil War that he produced for the popular magazine Harper's Weekly. As an artist-correspondent "embedded" with Union troops, he made several trips to the Virginia front. Inn by the Sea'sWinslow Homer's Civil War Package entices visitors to enjoy a two-night getaway while taking in this highly anticipated fall exhibit at the Portland Museum of Art.
The Winslow Homer's Civil War Package includes:
- Two nights in a traditional guest room, garden suite, spa suite or beach suite accommodation
- Two "Winslow Sidecar" welcome cocktails in the fireplace bar and lounge
Two "Winslow Homer" tin camp mugs
- Two tickets to Winslow Homer's Civil War exhibit at the Portland Museum of Art
- Gourmet breakfast for two daily in Sea Glass restaurant
- From $443.41 per night
- Package is available through December 8, 2013 and is based on two person occupancy. Two night minimum applies. Rates above reflect "starting at" pricing valid until 11/1/13; weekend and peak date surcharges may apply.
- Exhibit tours are available Tuesday - Sunday only 11am - 4pm and must be reserved prior to arrival.